Order Code: C365
ABN Requirement: No
Synonyms: Somatomedin C; IGF 1; ILGF1
Specimen: Serum or EDTA Plasma
Volume: 0.5 mL
Minimum Volume: 0.3 mL
Container: Gel-barrier tube (SST, Tiger Top) or EDTA (Lavender Top) tube
- Collect and label sample according to standard protocols.
- Gently invert tube 5 times immediately after draw. DO NOT SHAKE.
- Let tube stand in a vertical position to allow blood to clot 30 minutes.
- Centrifuge for 10 minutes.
- Draw and gently invert 8 to 10 times.
- Centrifuge immediately for 10 minutes at 1300 RCF at room temperature.
- Pre-squeeze transfer pipet bulb and draw off approximately 2/3 of the upper plasma layer.
Note: This ensures that the buffy coat and red cells remain undisturbed.
- Aliquot plasma into labeled transport tube and cap tightly. Discard original tube.
- Store transport tube refrigerated at 2-8°C until ready to ship.
Special Information: The supplementation of high biotin levels, exceeding the recommended daily allowance of 0.03 mg, could lead to incorrect blood test results with immunoassays that are based on biotin-streptavidin interactions. Clinicians should consider biotin interference as a source of error, when clinically suspicious of the laboratory result.
Transport: Store serum at 2-8°C after collection and ship the same day per packaging instructions provided with the Cleveland HeartLab shipping box.
Ambient (15-25°C): 3 days
Refrigerated (2-8°C): 3 days
Frozen (-20°C): 1 year
Deep Frozen (-70°C): 1 year
Causes for Rejection: Specimens other than serum or EDTA plasma; improper labeling; samples not stored properly; samples older than stability limits
Methodology: Chemiluminescence Assay
Turn Around Time: 1 to 5 days
|Age (years)||Male (ng/mL)||Female (ng/mL)|
|Tanner Stage I||81-255||86-323|
|Tanner Stage II||106-432||118-451|
|Tanner Stage III||245-511||258-528|
|Tanner Stage IV||223-578||224-586|
|Tanner Stage V||227-518||188-512|
Intended Use: For diagnosis of hypopituitarism and acromegaly.
Clinical Significance: Low IGF-1 is observed in GH deficiency or GH resistance. Elevated IGF-1 indicate a sustained overproduction of GH, or excessive rhGH therapy.
The CPT codes provided are based on AMA guidelines and are for informational purposes only. CPT coding is the sole responsibility of the billing party. Please direct any questions regarding coding to the payer being billed.