CPT Code: 83520
Order Code: 38190
ABN Requirement: No
Synonyms: IL-6, Cytokine
Volume: 1.0 mL
Minimum Volume: 0.3 mL
Container: Red Top (no gel barrier) tube
- Collect and label sample according to standard protocols.
- Gently invert tube 5 times immediately after draw. DO NOT SHAKE.
- Let tube stand in a vertical position to allow blood to clot 30 minutes.
- Centrifuge for 10 minutes.
- Aliquot serum into a labeled transport tube labeled as “Red Top Serum” and cap tightly.
- Store transport tube frozen at -20°C until ready to ship.
Collection Instructions: Separate serum from cells ASAP. Do NOT thaw. Separate specimens must be submitted when multiple tests are ordered.
Transport: Store serum frozen at -20°C after collection and ship the same day per packaging instructions included with the provided shipping box.
- Please note: Ship frozen serum on dry ice.
Ambient (15-25°C): Unacceptable
Refrigerated (2-8°C): Unacceptable
Frozen (-20°C): 1 year
Causes for Rejection: Specimens other than serum; improper labeling; samples not stored properly; samples older than stability limits; specimens received at room temperature; specimens received refrigerated; specimens received in serum separator tubes (SST); contaminated or heat-inactivated specimens
Methodology: Quantitative Multiplex Bead Assay
Turn Around Time: 7-12 days
Note: Cytokine levels may demonstrate diurnal variation. For longitudinal comparison, it is recommended that cytokine levels be determined at the same time of day.
Clinical Significance: Primarily for research and to support attempts to understand the pathogenesis of immune, infectious, allergic, or inflammatory disorders.
The CPT codes provided are based on AMA guidelines and are for informational purposes only. CPT coding is the sole responsibility of the billing party. Please direct any questions regarding coding to the payer being billed.