Order Code: C2359
ABN Requirement: No
Specimen: Serum or EDTA Plasma
Volume: 1.0 mL
Minimum Volume: 0.5 mL
Container: No gel tube (Red Top) or EDTA (Lavender Top) tube
- Collect and label sample according to standard protocols.
- Gently invert tube 5 times immediately after draw. DO NOT SHAKE.
- Let tube stand in a vertical position to allow blood to clot 30 minutes.
- Centrifuge at 1300 rcf for 10 minutes at room temperature.
- Aliquot serum into labeled transport tube and cap tightly. Discard original tube.
- Draw and gently invert 8 to 10 times.
- Centrifuge immediately for 10 minutes at 1300 RCF at room temperature.
- Pre-squeeze transfer pipet bulb and draw off approximately 2/3 of the upper plasma layer.
Note: This ensures that the buffy coat and red cells remain undisturbed.
- Aliquot plasma into labeled transport tube and cap tightly. Discard original tube.
- Store transport tube refrigerated at 2-8°C until ready to ship.
Special Information: Collect specimen immediately prior to next dose. Remove serum or plasma from whole blood as soon as possible, preferably within 1 hour after collection. Hydrolysis of levetiracetam may occur in the presence of whole blood. Do not use collection tubes containing cell separator gel.
Transport: Store serum or EDTA plasma at 2-8°C after collection and ship the same day per packaging instructions provided with the Cleveland HeartLab, Inc. shipping box.
Ambient (15-25°C): Not Acceptable
Refrigerated (2-8°C): 1 week
Frozen (-20°C): 1 month
Deep Frozen (-70°C): 1 month
Causes for Rejection: Specimens other than no additive (red top) serum or EDTA plasma; samples not separated from red cells within 48 hours of collection; hemolyzed samples; improper labeling; samples not stored properly; samples older than stability limits
Methodology: Enzyme Immunoassay (EIA)
Turn Around Time: 2-5 days
Intended Use: Monitor therapeutic administration of levetiracetam.