HIV-1 RNA, Qualitative, TMA
CPT Code: 87535
Order Code: 16185
ABN Requirement: No
Specimen: EDTA Plasma
Volume: 1.6 mL
Minimum Volume: 0.6 mL
Container: EDTA (Lavender Top tube)
- Draw and gently invert 8 to 10 times.
- Centrifuge for 10 minutes.
EDTA plasma must be separated from cells within 2 hours of collection.
- Pre-squeeze transfer pipet bulb and draw off approximately 2/3 of the upper plasma layer. Note: This ensures that the buffy coat and red cells remain undisturbed.
- Aliquot plasma into labeled transport tube as “EDTA plasma” and cap tightly” Discard original tube.
- Store transport tube frozen at -20°C until ready to ship.
Special Specimen Collection Instructions: Tube must be labeled with patient identifiers and submitted only for HIV testing.
HIV Testing Pathway Algorithm: https://www.questdiagnostics.com/hcp/intguide/InfectDis/HIV/TS_HIV4thGenScreen_Figure.pdf
Transport: Store EDTA plasma at frozen at -20°C after collection and ship the same day per packaging instructions provided with the Cleveland HeartLab shipping box.
Please note: Ship frozen EDTA plasma on dry ice.
Ambient (15-25°C): 72 hours
Refrigerated (2-8°C): 5 days
Frozen (-20°C): 35 days
Causes for Rejection: Specimens other than EDTA plasma; improper labeling; samples not stored properly; samples older than stability limits
Methodology: Transcription-Mediated Amplification (TMA)
Turn Around Time: 2 to 3 days
Clinical Significance: The APTIMA® HIV-1 RNA, Qualitative assay may be used:
1. As an aid in the diagnosis of acute and primary HIV-1 infection.
2. To confirm HIV-1 infection in persons who repeatedly test positive for HIV-1 infection.
3. To resolve indeterminate or inconclusive HIV-1 Western blot results.
The CPT codes provided are based on AMA guidelines and are for informational purposes only. CPT coding is the sole responsibility of the billing party. Please direct any questions regarding coding to the payer being billed.