CPT Code: 83520
Order Code: 1397
ABN Requirement: No
Synonyms: IL-6 HS,Cytokine
Specimen: EDTA Plasma
Volume: 1.0 mL
Minimum Volume: 0.5 mL
Container: EDTA (Lavender Top) tube
- Draw and gently invert 8 to 10 times.
- Centrifuge for 10 minutes.
EDTA plasma must be separated from cells within 2 hours of collection.
- Pre-squeeze transfer pipet bulb and draw off approximately 2/3 of the upper plasma layer.
Note: This ensure that the buffy coat and red cells remain undisturbed.
- Aliquot plasma into labeled transport tube labeled as “EDTA plasma” and cap tightly. Discard original tube.
- Store transport tube frozen at -20°C until ready to ship.
Collection Instructions: Do NOT thaw. Cytokine levels may demonstrate diurnal variation. Recommend cytokine levels to be determined at the same time to day for improved longitudinal comparison.
Transport: Store plasma at -20°C after collection and ship the same day per packaging instructions provided with the Cleveland HeartLab shipping box.
- Please note: Ship frozen EDTA plasma on dry ice.
Ambient (15-25°C): 24 hours
Refrigerated (2-8°C): 48 hours
Frozen (-20°C): 7 months
Causes for Rejection: Specimens other than serum; improper labeling; samples not stored properly; samples older than stability limits; specimens received at room temperature; specimens received refrigerated; specimens received in serum separator tubes (SST); moderately or grossly hemolyzed specimens; lipemic specimens; icteric specimens
Methodology: Enzyme-Linked Immunosorbent Immunoassay (ELISA)
Turn Around Time: 7 days
Clinical Significance: To evaluate the level of IL-6 in serum or EDTA plasma samples.
The CPT codes provided are based on AMA guidelines and are for informational purposes only. CPT coding is the sole responsibility of the billing party. Please direct any questions regarding coding to the payer being billed.