CPT Code: 82024
Order Code: 211
Synonyms: Corticotropin, Adrenocorticotropic Hormone
ABN Requirement: No
Specimen: EDTA Plasma
Volume: 1.5 mL
Minimum Volume: 0.5 mL
Container: EDTA (Lavender Top) tube
Collect specimen between 7 a.m. and 10 a.m. If drawn at any other time, reference ranges do not apply.
- Collect and label sample according to standard protocols.
- Draw and gently invert 8 to 10 times.
- Centrifuge for 10 minutes.
- Pre-squeeze transfer pipet bulb and draw off approximately 2/3 of the upper plasma layer.
Note: This ensures that the buffy coat and red cells remain undisturbed.
- Aliquot plasma into labeled transport tube and cap tightly. Discard original tube.
- Mark the specimen type as EDTA plasma on the container. Freeze immediately.
Special Information: Plasma must be separated from cells immediately. Plasma aliquot should be frozen immediately in a plastic tube.
Transport: Store plasma frozen after collection and ship the same day frozen per packaging instructions included with the provided shipping box.
Ambient (15-25°C): Not Acceptable
Refrigerated (2-8°C): Not Acceptable
Frozen (-20°C): 28 days
Causes for Rejection: Specimens other than EDTA plasma; improper labeling; samples not stored properly; samples older than stability limits; specimens received thawed
Methodology: Immunoassay (IA)
Turn Around Time: 2 to 3 days
|<3 Years||Not Established|
Clinical Significance: Determination of ACTH is useful in differentiating between primary and secondary adrenocortical hypo- and hyperfunctional disorders: Addison’s Disease, Cushing’s Syndrome, Adrenal Carcinoma, Ectopic ACTH Syndrome, Nodular Hyperplasia.
The CPT codes provided are based on AMA guidelines and are for informational purposes only. CPT coding is the sole responsibility of the billing party. Please direct any questions regarding coding to the payer being billed.