Order Code: 1189
ABN Requirement: Yes
Specimen: Red Top Serum
Volume: 1.0 mL
Minimum Volume: 0.6 mL
Container: No Gel-barrier tube (Red Top tube)
- Collect and label sample according to standard protocols.
- Gently invert tube 5 times immediately after draw. DO NOT SHAKE.
- Allow blood to clot 30 minutes.
- Centrifuge for 10 minutes.
- Aliquot serum into labeled transport tube labeled as “Red Top Serum” and cap tightly. Discard original tube.
- Store transport tube refrigerated at 2-8°C until ready to ship.
Transport: Store red top serum at 2°C to 8°C after collection and ship the same day per packaging instructions included with the provided shipping box.
Ambient (15-25°C): 7 days
Refrigerated (2-8°C): 14 days
Frozen (-20°C): 30 days
Causes for Rejection: Specimens other than red top serum; improper labeling; samples not stored properly; samples older than stability limits; moderate to gross hemolysis; lipemia; gross icterus; serum separator tube (SST); plasma
Methodology: Liquid Chromatography/Tandem Mass Spectrometry (LC-MS/MS)
Turn Around Time: 2 to 6 days
Clinical Significance: Dihydrotestosterone (DHT) is a potent androgen derived from testosterone via 5-alpha-reductase activity. 5-alpha-reductase deficiency results in incompletely virilized males (phenotypic females). This diagnosis is supported by an elevated ratio of testosterone to DHT.
The CPT codes provided are based on AMA guidelines and are for informational purposes only. CPT coding is the sole responsibility of the billing party. Please direct any questions regarding coding to the payer being billed.