CPT Code: 83529
Order Code: 34473
ABN Requirement: No
Synonyms: IL-6 HS, Cytokine
Specimen: Frozen serum
Volume: 1.0 mL
Minimum Volume: 0.5 mL
Container: Red Top (no gel barrier) Tube or Serum Separator Tube (SST)
- Collect and label sample according to standard protocols.
- Gently invert tube 5 times immediately after draw. Do not shake tube.
- Let tube stand in a vertical position to allow blood to clot 30 minutes.
- Centrifuge for 10 minutes.
- Aliquot serum into a labeled transport tube labeled as “Serum” and cap tightly.
- Store transport tube frozen at -20°C until ready to ship.
Collection Instructions: Do not thaw. Cytokine levels may demonstrate diurnal variation. Recommend cytokine levels to be determined at the same time of day for improved longitudinal comparison. Do not send frozen SST tube, aliquot serum into a labeled transport tube.
Special Instructions: No biotin supplements 48 hours prior to blood draw.
Transport: Store serum at -20°C after collection and ship the same day per packaging instructions included with the provided shipping box.
- Please note: Ship frozen serum on dry ice.
Ambient (15-25°C): Not acceptable
Refrigerated (2-8°C): 2 days
Frozen (-20°C): 7 months
Causes for Rejection: Specimens other than serum; improper labeling; samples not stored properly; samples older than stability limits; specimens received at room temperature; specimens received refrigerated; gross hemolysis; frozen serum separator tube (SST)
Turn Around Time: 7 days
|Interleukin-6 (IL-6), Serum||<5.00|
Clinical Significance: To evaluate the level of IL-6 in serum samples.
The CPT codes provided are based on AMA guidelines and are for informational purposes only. CPT coding is the sole responsibility of the billing party. Please direct any questions regarding coding to the payer being billed.