CPT Code: 83520
Order Code: 34473
ABN Requirement: No
Synonyms: IL-6 HS,Cytokine
Volume: 1.0 mL
Minimum Volume: 0.5 mL
Container: Red Top (no gel barrier) tube
1. Collect and label sample according to standard protocols.
2. Gently invert tube 5 times immediately after draw. DO NOT SHAKE.
3. Let tube stand in a vertical position to allow blood to clot 30 minutes.
4. Centrifuge for 10 minutes.
5. Aliquot serum into a labeled transport tube labeled as “Serum” and cap tightly.
6. Store transport tube frozen at -20°C until ready to ship.
Collection Instructions: Do NOT thaw. Cytokine levels may demonstrate diurnal variation. Recommend cytokine levels to be determined at the same time of day for improved longitudinal comparison. No biotin supplements 48 hours prior to blood draw.
Transport: Store serum at -20°C after collection and ship the same day per packaging instructions included with the provided shipping box.
- Please note: Ship frozen serum on dry ice.
Ambient (15-25°C): 24 hours
Refrigerated (2-8°C): 48 hours
Frozen (-20°C): 7 months
Causes for Rejection: Specimens other than serum; improper labeling; samples not stored properly; samples older than stability limits; specimens received at room temperature; specimens received refrigerated; specimens received in serum separator tubes (SST); gross hemolysis
Turn Around Time: 7-14 days
|Interleukin-6 (IL-6), Serum||<5.00|
Clinical Significance: To evaluate the level of IL-6 in serum.
The CPT codes provided are based on AMA guidelines and are for informational purposes only. CPT coding is the sole responsibility of the billing party. Please direct any questions regarding coding to the payer being billed.