CPT Code: 83722
Order Code: 1341
ABN Requirement: No
Synonyms: Small Dense LDL; Small dense low-density lipoprotein; sdLDL
Volume: 1.0 mL
Minimum Volume: 0.2 mL
Container: Gel-barrier tube (SST)
- Collect and label sample according to standard protocols.
- Gently invert tube 5 times immediately after draw. DO NOT SHAKE.
- Allow blood to clot for 30 minutes.
- Centrifuge for 10 minutes.
- Store and transport refrigerated.
Special Instructions: At least 3 mL of blood should be drawn.
Patient Preparation: Fasting may be required for this test. Please ask your doctor if you should fast prior to testing.
Transport: Store serum at 2°C to 8°C after collection and ship the same day per packaging instructions included with the provided shipping box.
Ambient (15-25°C): Not Acceptable
Refrigerated (2-8°C): 10 days
Frozen (-20°C): 14 days
Deep Frozen (-70°C): 3 months
Causes for Rejection: Specimens other than serum; improper labeling; samples not stored properly; samples older than stability limits
Turn Around Time: 3 days
|Adults > 20 years||< 50.0|
Clinical Significance: The sdLDL test is used in conjunction with other lipid measurements and clinical evaluations to aid in the risk management of lipoprotein disorders associated with cardiovascular disease.
Population reference interval for males 21-44 yrs and females 21-54 yrs is 12.7-48.3 mg/dL and for males 45-75 yrs and females 55-75 yrs is 12.6-51.7 mg/dL.
- Hoogeveen RC, Gaubatz JW, Sun W, et al. Small dense low-density lipoprotein-cholesterol concentrations predict risk for coronary heart disease: the Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities (ARIC) study. Arterioscler Thomb Vasc Biol. 2014 May;34(5):1069-77.
The CPT codes provided are based on AMA guidelines and are for informational purposes only. CPT coding is the sole responsibility of the billing party. Please direct any questions regarding coding to the payer being billed.