CPT Code: 84402, 84403
Order Code: 1300
Includes: Testosterone, Total, (LC/MS/MS) and Testosterone, Free (Dialysis)
ABN Requirement: No
Synonyms: Free Testosterone
Volume: 0.9 mL
Minimum Volume: 0.4 mL
Container: Red Top (no gel barrier) tube
- Collect and label sample according to standard protocols.
- Gently invert tube 5 times immediately after draw. DO NOT SHAKE.
- Let tube stand in a vertical position to allow blood to clot 30 minutes.
- Centrifuge for 10 minutes.
- Aliquot serum into a transport tube labeled as “Red Top Serum” and cap tightly.
*Special Information: Please specify age and sex on the test requisition form.*
Transport: Store serum at 2°C to 8°C after collection and ship the same day per packaging instructions included with the provided shipping box.
Ambient (15-25°C): 7 days
Refrigerated (2-8°C): 21 days
Frozen (-20°C): 2 years
Causes for Rejection: Improper labeling; samples not stored properly; samples older than stability limits; gross hemolysis; gross lipemia
Methodology: Chromatography/Mass Spectrometry, Equilibrium Dialysis, Calculation
Turn Around Time: 5 to 6 days
|Male (pg/mL)||Female (pg/mL)|
|Male (ng/dL)||Female (ng/dL)|
Clinical Significance: Helpful in assessing testicular function in males, and in managing hirsutism and virilization in females.
The CPT codes provided are based on AMA guidelines and are for informational purposes only. CPT coding is the sole responsibility of the billing party. Please direct any questions regarding coding to the payer being billed.