Order Code: C2414
ABN Requirement: No
Synonyms: Plasma Zinc; Zn
Specimen: EDTA Plasma
Volume: 1.0 mL
Minimum Volume: 0.5 mL
Container: EDTA (Navy Blue top) tube
- Draw and gently invert 8 to 10 times.
- Centrifuge for 10 minutes.
- Pre-squeeze plastic transfer pipet bulb and draw off approximately 2/3 of the upper plasma layer. Do not use glass pipettes.
Note: This ensures that the buffy coat and red cells remain undisturbed.
- Aliquot plasma into labeled polypropylene transport tube labeled as “Navy EDTA plasma” and cap tightly. Do not allow specimen to come into contact with polystyrene, metal, or rubber.
- Store transport tube refrigerated at 2-8°C until ready to ship.
Special Information: Do not allow specimen to come into contact with polystyrene, metal, or rubber. Centrifuge and transfer plasma to a polypropylene tube. Do not allow plasma to remain on red cells. Navy blue top blood collection tubes are specifically rated for trace element collection.
Transport: Store plasma at 2-8°C after collection and ship the same day per packaging instructions provided with the Cleveland HeartLab shipping box.
Ambient (15-25°C): 7 days
Refrigerated (2-8°C): 30 days
Frozen (-20°C): 1 year
Deep Frozen (-70°C): 1 year
Causes for Rejection: Specimens other than navy blue top EDTA plasma; improper labeling; samples not stored properly; samples older than stability limits
Methodology: Inductively Coupled Plasma/Mass Spectrometry (ICP-MS)
Turn Around Time: 2-8 days
Clinical Information: Evaluation of zinc status and for monitoring of total parenteral nutrition (TPN).
The CPT codes provided are based on AMA guidelines and are for informational purposes only. CPT coding is the sole responsibility of the billing party. Please direct any questions regarding coding to the payer being billed.